Tuesday, February 11, 2014

#AncestryDNA Ethnicity Updated

You may have seen my previous post about the ethnicity results from my AncestryDNA test.  Not long after I posted that "interesting" pie chart, Ancestry updated the method they used to determine where my ancestors came from.  This seems more logical:
 


Or visit this link to see more.  I can't say I feel competent talking about what my DNA results mean, but I'm starting to feel a bit more familiar with some of the terms used in connection with DNA testing.  A big help has been reading some of the lessons at:

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO GENETIC GENEALOGY

I have also uploaded my data to Gedmatch. I have found the results to be really interesting, but also so intimidating that I haven't had the nerve to contact any of the people who match me there. I have had emails from others who have been matched with me, but so far, I haven't found a connection with any of them in my own database. One thing that encourages me is that I see that Gedmatch's system has found that part of my DNA matches a man who I knew thru an email list trying to connect Sutphin family members. Sutphin was my 4th great-grandmother's maiden name! It's good to see some scientific confirmation for the research that I, and others, have done in the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...say anything :)

Want to post a link? Click HERE for instructions!