Monday, December 2, 2019

Rootsweb WorldConnect is Dead?

I recently found that Rootsweb would be soon allowing new gedcom uploads for their free WorldConnect tree site and I was pretty excited because it had been more than a year since I had been able to update my family tree there.  However, the reality of what they were offering didn't measure up to what I expected.  In the past, I was able to upload a new gedcom that would preserve the link to the tree so that I could share it.  That is no longer true.  I wish I had screenshots of the wonderfully useful site that it used to be. 

To update my tree now, I must upload a new gedcom which will create a completely new tree with a new URL.  My old tree is still there, but there is no way to update it and the site is not user friendly for searchers or tree owners. 

For example, this is the link to me in my own tree:  Individual Page

I'm very disappointed.  Maybe the functionality will get better in the future, but until then, I have removed the link to WorldConnect from my own personal genealogy page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...say anything :)

Want to post a link? Click HERE for instructions!