I was reading someone's else's blog where they showed their own result from the Gedmatch Eye Color Prediction Tool so of course, I had to try it, too. Before I started, I noticed this warning on the page, so I didn't expect the results to be perfect since, as you might remember, I had my DNA test done by Ancestry.com:
FTDNA Illumina and Ancestry.Com results may provide a prediction, but generally there are not enough of the necessary SNPs for it to be accurate.
This is what they predicted:
The photo to the right is my actual eye! I consider that close. They also gave me a chance to rate the accuracy of the prediction. Below were my choices. Taking into consideration the disclaimer I quoted above, I chose #3 and mentioned in the comment box provided that my eyes are quite a bit darker than the picture.
Please rate the accuracy of this prediction. You can scroll down and leave additional explanation or comments below
- It's exactly right.
- Color is correct. It missed one or two tiny details, but it's very close.
- Came close on the color(s), and got a lot of the details.
- Got some of the colors in my eye, but missed a lot of details.
- The color is not exactly close, but it's not a complete miss either.
- The prediction missed the color completely, but it picked up a few other details.
- Completely wrong. The color's not even close.